WHAT TO DO BEFORE TRAVELLING
- Book your flights to Kilimanjaro international airport
- Get malaria prophylaxis
- Get all the following vaccinations: A and B hepatitis, Yellow Fever, Cholera, Typhoid Fever and Tetanus. Make sure also that your MMR vaccination is still valid.
- Go through medical check-up to avoid any unpleasant surprises. You will get good medical health care in Tanzania during your trip if needed.
- Inform us about all your medications, chronic illnesses, sicknesses, allergies or other limitation or precautions
- Get appropriate travel insurance
- Make sure your passport is valid 6 months after your trip
- Go through our websites for more information and contact us if you have any questions
- Inform us about any special diets
THINGS TO TAKE WITH YOU
- All your personal medication and medical prescription
- Insect repellent (can also be bought from Arusha)
- Stomach medicines for both diarrhea and constipation
- Hat to protect you from sun and also clothes with long sleeves and long trousers to protect against mosquitoes
- Comfortable shoes and during the rainy season, shoes that can be worn in mud
- Take a mobile phone with you. If possible you can take some old one which you don’t use anymore at home. TVL gives you a local phone connection for free to refill and use during your trip.
- Flashlight or headlight
- Check requirements of dressing in your placement from your placement´s presentation.
- AC power plugs and sockets used in Tanzania are British type G, BS 1363 and the voltage is 220-240 volts. If your electric devices don’t fit to this kind of plugs you will need to take an adapter with you.
THINGS YOU DON’T NEED TO BRING
- All the most common medicines e.g painkillers, plasters etc. are available for purchase in Arusha
- Products such as shampoos, lotions, toothpaste, laundry powder can also be bought in Arusha
- Bed sheets, mosquito nets and towels are included in all the rooms
CURRENCY AND PAYING
- Tanzanian currency is Tanzanian shilling (TZS)
- It is not possible to buy Tanzania shillings outside the country
- Shillings are accepted everywhere in Tanzania, US dollars in some tourist destinations
- You can draw cash (Tanzanian shillings) from ATM machines with Visa, Visa Electron or Mastercard
- US dollars or euro can be exchanged in bureau de change
- US dollars printed earlier than 2006 are not accepted in Tanzania
- You can’t pay with credit card
- You can’t cash traveller’s cheques